Please visit the "Shopping" tab above to see the products available.
Sleep Therapy Requirement
A. A face-to-face clinical evaluation by the treating physician prior to the sleep study test to assess the patient for OSA.
B. A Medicare-covered sleep test that meets either of the following:
1. The apnea-hypopnea index (AHI) or Respiratory Disturbance Index (RDI) is greater than or equal to 15 events with a minimum of 30 events; or
2. The AHI or RDI is greater than or equal to 5 and less than or equal to 14 events per hour with a minimum of 10 events and documentation of:
a. Excessive daytime sleepiness, impaired cognition, mood disorders, or insomnia; or
b. Hypertension, ischemic heart disease, or history of stroke.
C. The patient and/or their caregiver have received instruction from the supplier of the PAP device and accessories in the proper use and care of the equipment.
D. A HCPCS code E0601 device has been tried and proven ineffective based on a therapeutic trial conducted in either a facility or in a home setting.
The treating physician must perform a clinical reevaluation no sooner than the 31st day, but no later than the 91st day after initiating therapy, which documents the following:
• A face-to-face clinical reevaluation by the treating physician with documentation that symptoms of OSA are improved; and
• Objective evidence of adherence to use (defined as use of PAP devices for 4 or more hours per night on 70% of nights during a consecutive 30-day period anytime during the first 3 months of initial use) of the PAP device, reviewed by the treating physician.
Patients who fail the initial 12-week trial are eligible to requalify for a PAP device but must have both:
1. Face-to-face clinical reevaluation by the treating physician to determine the etiology of the failure to respond to PAP therapy; and 2. Repeat sleep test in a facility-based setting (Type I study).
For patients who received a PAP device prior to enrollment in FFS Medicare and are seeking Medicare coverage of either rental of the device, a replacement PAP device, and/or accessories, both of the following coverage requirements must be met:
1. The patient had a documented sleep test prior to FFS Medicare enrollment that meets the Medicare AHI/RDI coverage criteria in effect at the time that the patient seeks Medicare coverage of a replacement PAP device and/or accessories; and
2. The patient had a face-to-face clinical evaluation following FFS Medicare enrollment by the treating physician who documented in the patient’s medical record that:
a. The patient has a diagnosis of OSA, and
b. The patient continues to use the PAP device. If either criteria 1 or 2 above are not met, the claim will be denied as not medically necessary. In these situations, there is no requirement for a clinical reevaluation or for objective documentation of adherence to use of the device.
*THE ABOVE IS THE CRITEA FOR MEDICARE. THERE MAY BE FURTHER REQUIREMENTS AND/ OR NEEDS TO BE MET. PLEASE CONTACT US FOR THE FULL REQUIREMENTS.